Seebird International

Seebird International

Empowering Global Migration

Why Study in Canada?


Canada offers a diverse and multicultural society with exposure to cultural diversity. Students can experience a cosmopolitan experience and make friends from around the world.

Affordable Education

Canada offers high-quality education, a globally competitive education system, and a holistic education experience. Canadian degrees are globally recognized and have low tuition fees among English-speaking countries.

Quality of Life

Canada comes in the top 5 countries in terms of Quality of Life. Certainly, people have work-life-balance and can devote enough time to their family and children to have a complete balance  of life

Work Opportunities

Canada offers career opportunities, internship opportunities, and liberal government policies related to post-study work and immigration. Students may also be able to stay and work in Canada after they graduate.

Other benefits

Other benefits of studying in Canada are namely Exploration options, Environmental protection, Individual freedom, a Safe Place to Study and more


Though Canadian universities offer hundreds of programs, most belong to one of these general areas of interest:

  • Business & Management
  • Education
  • Engineering & technology
  • Fine Arts
  • Arts & Humanities
  • Medicine and Life Science
  • Health & Sciences
  • Social Studies
  • Natural Sciences

Popular areas of study in Canada

Students willing to study in Canada can select from hundreds of distinct programs available in universities and colleges. Each program has different set of requirements that students are expected to meet before getting enrolled. Upon completion of the program, the university will grant a certificate, diploma or degree. After completing the program and getting the academic credentials, students can qualify for a job or continue to study further.


Majority of courses include a series of weekly lessons, exams, and independent coursework in a chosen subject, and this takes 12 weeks full. Upon successful completion, students are granted ‘credits’ towards their chosen program. A program is only deemed complete when the student obtains certain credits, required to fulfill the requirements of the program. For instance, a student studying a bachelor degree will be scored out of 120 credits, and each single course upon completion contributes 3 credits to the total.

Intakes in Canada

Most universities decide their own semester intakes in Canada. An academic year in Canada is categorized into terms, normally called semesters. They either follow the semester or trimester system, by which the year is divided into two or three semesters of equal length. Canada generally has three intakes; September, January, April,May. The September intake is referred to as Fall intake, January as Winter and April/May as Summer intake. 

All programs and universities are open in major intakes (Fall & Winter), whereas students get limited options in terms of programs and universities in April/May (Summer). 

Who is eligible to study in Canada?

There are different ways of entering the Canadian Education System. Normally, students move to Canada for higher education (HE) after finishing their senior secondary school. However, students can enroll in a Canadian school before 10th of 12th, but there are certain conditions that one has to meet. 

For those willing to do post-graduation (PG) in Canada, the eligibility criteria is a bit different. Canada offers a wide range of both UG and PG programs for students aged 16 or above. Recently, IRCC made announcement regarding changes to study permit  and now students taking undergraduate courses will no longer be able to sponsor their spouses on open-work permits. However, the good news is that those going for Masters will be getting work permit for 3 years, which many people have been demanding over the years. 



  • Have 60% marks in top 4 subjects and English Langauge
  • Have obtained 6 bands overall in IELTS with not less than 5.5 in one or two modules.
  • Have obtained 60 in PTE Academic with no less than 58/59 in each module
  • Have enough funds to support your self, pay one year tution fees, and fund GIC account with CAD 20,635
  • Have a valid passport and a decent social record

Have you been refused Study Permit earlier?

It is useless to apply over and over again without improving on the discrepancies for which refusal was given.

For example, if you were refused for low band scores, you should not re-apply unless you improve your scores. Similarly, what ever may be the reason, make sure to improve your profile before re-applying.

How to Apply?

Making application to study in Canada is a vital step and should be done with utmost care. Once you meet the eligibility requirements, the very first thing to do is check the institution is listed on the DLI list. As of January 22, 2024 IRCC made some critical announcements regarding study permits to Canada.  Now, any student studying in a private college will not be eligible to a post graduate work permit upon completion of the course. Only those studying in public colleges and universities will be eligible for PGWP. So, when selecting the education institute, you must take all factors into account. 

Next, once you are accepted by an institution and have an offer, you should pay the fees (one year) and open a GIC account and deposit the required amount. It takes around 7-10 working days to get GIC certificate from the bank. After you have Letter of Acceptance (LOA) and GIC certificate in hand, you need to obtain Letter of Accreditation from the province. IRCC hs asked all provinces to make their system ready by 31st March 2024 and start offering Letter of Accreditation no later than 31 March. 

After obtaining all three major documents, you should apply for a study permit. Study permit applications can be made online on IRCC website and takes around 3-4 weeks for SDS category. 

If you have any questions regarding your application, please contact us and get a personal coach

New changes to SOWP

Recently, on 19 March 2024, IRCC made new announcements on Spousal Open Work Permit (SOWP).

Starting March 19, 2024, your spouse or common-law partner may be eligible for an open work permit if you have a valid study permit and you are studying in either master’s or doctoral degree program in a university or polytechnic institution, or one of the following professional degree programs at a university:

    • Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS, DMD)
    • Bachelor of Law or Juris Doctor (LLB, JD, BCL)
    • Doctor of Medicine (MD)
    • Doctor of Optometry (OD)
    • Pharmacy (PharmD, BS, BSc, BPharm)
    • Doctor of Veterinary Medicine (DVM)
    • Bachelor of Science in Nursing (BScN, BSN, BNSc)
    • Bachelor of Education (B. Ed.)
    • Bachelor of Engineering (B. Eng., BE, BASc)

Your spouse or common-law partner must provide one of the following documents to prove your enrollment in a degree-granting program of study:

  • valid letter of acceptance from your designated learning institution (DLI)
  • a proof of enrollment letter from your DLI
  • transcripts from your current program

You have to provide additional documents to prove your relationship to student

  • proof of their relationship to you, the student

Applied before 19 March, 2024

Your spouse or common-law partner may be eligible for an open work permit if you meet the following 3 requirements:

  • You have a valid study permit.
  • You’re eligible for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP).
  • You’re a full-time student at one of these types of schools:
    • a public post-secondary school, such as a college or university, or CEGEP in Quebec
    • a private college-level school in Quebec
    • a Canadian private school that can legally award degrees under provincial law (for example, a bachelor’s, master’s or doctoral degree)

If you want to extend your open work permit

Your spouse or common-law partner may be eligible to extend their existing open work permit under this stream if you meet 3 requirements:

  • You have a valid study permit.
  • You’re eligible for a PGWP.
  • You’re a full-time student at one of these types of schools:
    • a public post-secondary school, such as a college or university, or a CEGEP in Quebec
    • a private college-level school in Quebec
    • a Canadian private school that can legally award degrees under provincial law (for example, a bachelor’s, master’s or doctoral degree)

What if your are not eligible?

If your are not eligible for this program, there are other options that you can try: 

Find out what options you have

Express Entry (Canada PR)