Seebird International

Seebird International

Empowering Global Migration

Table of Contents

Federal Skilled Worker Program

The Express Entry system is used for three skilled worker programs including the FSWP. If you have not lived in Canada before and are not a skilled trades professional, the FSWP will be your best Express Entry option.

First, you need to see if you are eligible under the FSWP’s criteria. Next, when you submit an Express Entry profile, you will receive a Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS) score based on factors such as your age, education, language skills, and work experience.

Usually every two weeks, the Canadian government holds Express Entry draws inviting the candidates with the highest CRS scores to apply for permanent residence. After submitting your completed application, you can expect to receive your permanent residence status within six months and then move to Canada.

Step 1

Find out if you meet the FSWP's eligibility criteria. CanadaVisa has a free eligibility tool.

Step 2

Submit your Express Entry profile onto the website of Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC). 

Step 3

See if you receive an Invitation to Apply (ITA) for permanent residence. Draw Occur after 2 weeks

Step 4

 If you receive an ITA, you go ahead and submit your completed permanent residence application to IRCC. 


The minimum requirements are:

  • One year of continuous full-time or equivalent paid work experience in the past 10 years in a skilled occupation classified under the  National Occupational Classification (NOC) TEER level 0, 1, 2, or 3.; 
  • Validated language ability equivalent to Canadian Language Benchmark (CLB) 7 in English or French across all abilities (reading, writing, listening, and speaking); and
  • Canadian educational credential (certificate, diploma, or degree) or foreign credential and Educational Credential Assessment (ECA) report. 
  • Get at least 67 out of 100 points on the FSWP grid. The program’s grid assesses candidates based on factors that include age, education, work experience, arranged employment, language ability, and adaptability.
  • Meet the settlement funds criteria (if applicable). Candidates may need to demonstrate they have a certain amount of savings to support themselves financially upon arriving to Canada.

If you successfully receive an Express Entry invitation to apply for permanent residence, you will be asked to submit the following documents under the FSWP in support of your permanent residence application:

  • appropriate application forms, signed and completed;
  • appropriate Canadian government processing fees;
  • identity and civil status documents;
  • travel documents and passports;
  • evidence of education training/professional qualifications;
  • evidence of work experience;
  • IELTS or CELPIP and/or TEF or TCF Canada results or;
  • Canadian educational credential assessment;
  • evidence of Arranged Employment, if applicable;
  • evidence of points claimed, if any, under the adaptability factor;
  • police certificates and clearances;
  • proof of settlement funds.

All candidates who receive an invitation to apply are also required to submit the following supporting documents along with their e-application:

  • Valid passport
  • Language test results
  • Documentation attesting to work experience
  • Police clearance certificate(s)
  • Upfront medical information tracking sheet
  • Photographs of principal applicant and family members

It is important to note that many Canadian Immigration Visa Offices have their own specific document requirements that must be respected in order to avoid having an application returned, delayed or even refused.

Work Experience

Work experience does not have to be related to the candidate’s education, as long as he or she is performing or has performed the duties of the occupation for which he or she is claiming points.

Do I need a Canadian Job Offer?

A valid offer of employment is not required in order to qualify under the FSWP, but one could get you up to 15 points and thereby improve your chances of being eligible. Furthermore, a valid job offer from a Canadian employer, you can earn between 50 and 200 points under Express Entry’s Comprehensive Ranking System (CRS), depending on the type of job.

Can I apply with my family?

Yes, you can include your partner and dependent children in the same application. Dependent children should 22 or below.